Listen to the road


Monday, February 10, 2014

More learning


Still learning, practicing and having fun painting dogs in oils.
Recently, a dental emergency has changed my priorities so I can't take an online course I'd planned to. But time online has been educational with utube tutorials, etc. Free is good for now. I'd like to share some of the most helpful information I've learned in case anyone reading 
here is considering oil as a medium.


 

I've tried several brands of mid range quality oil paints and Gamblin has the most consistent
creamy quality and color intensity so far. This is what goes on my palette every time;

portland cool grey, flake white replacement, warm white, brown pink, indian yellow, 
trans earth orange, asphaltum and black spinel.

 I have others, many shades of browns, blacks, greys
and earth colors to mix.

 I prefer flake white replacement to titanium white for
most blending. Titanium white is what I like to use for the final layer when I need an
opaque white that sparkles even in a small dab. 

I've also discovered Radiant White,
which has some sort of reflective substance mixed in it. If used in the first layers it reflects
light thru the top layers in a wonderful way. A little goes a long way, tho.




This solvent was sent in an order to try (no charge) and I used it in on several backgrounds
before experimenting first (bad idea). The paint is still tacky after almost 2 weeks.
Something in this solvent slows drying time drastically. I'll keep that in mind when
I need that quality. But right now, working in layers, it isn't helpful.




This medium, Liquin, from Winsor Newton is exactly what I needed to
speed up drying time between layers. I use it in 30/70 (Liquin/paint) ratio and 
drying time is cut by at least half! No differences in color intensity/saturation 
until more than 30% Liquin is added to the mix.



Now I can add layers that don't build up so thick and are slow to dry.
 I can add small dabs of color to build expression and work
on that area again in only one day. 

I'd like to recommend an online book with lots
It concentrates on Winsor Newton products but for a beginner like me
it's a PDF file full of great information...and free!






I found this book, Shelter Dogs, by Traer Scott in our library. The photographer/
author responded to my email about permission to use some of her photos
for my 'dog folk' studies. 

She kindly gave permission and this project is going forward with a
life of it's own. I sell my work in Plantiques in Newport News, Va . 

A portion of the sale of any of these
will be donated to the Animal Aid Center in Hampton, VA,
a no-kill shelter (google it to see the great dogs living there).



Still making notes to share as I continue to learn oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.