Listen to the road


Saturday, December 13, 2014

Commission paintings and a helpful idea for Cretacolor oil crayons


 I was happy to begin the first stages of these sweet dogs on commission.
 
 
 
Drawing, especially on toned paper, has bumped up my skill level a bit.
Drawing daily is a big joy. These two paintings need more work but I'm
happy with what's happening in the first stages.

In Oct and Nov I was working with watercolor washes over ink 
drawings. The hatching was not working and I've moved away from it.
 

Early this month I began using Cretacolor water soluble oil pastels with
a waterbrush and love the smooth, less transparent oil pastels on toned paper.
 

I went back to some old drawings and added cretacolor highlights.


Even with the hatching it builds form more naturally.
 

 Working with it feels somewhere between oils and watercolor.

The only downside is this jumble of choices that slowed me down in
color choices...so...


I cut a small end off each oil crayon, leaving the paper on, then
glued each into this shallow case. This way I can dip into them like pan watercolors.


My new favorite tool.


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea to make your color set that way! Your dogs are looking so personable, as always. good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jan! Are your winter days sunnier since your tree adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be overwhelmed with all those colors too. Anything in stick form is difficult as far as color mixing/layering goes, at least for me it is. I love how you problem-solved it. Your works are amazing and your dogs are always so soulful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lisa. I'm enjoying your painting...she inspires me daily.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.