Listen to the road


Saturday, November 8, 2014

More dogs and two new tools I love

 I've continued practicing watercolor washes over ink drawings.


 Less concerned with realism-trying to get personality.


 Backing up a bit on ink-working more layers of watercolor.


And trying out new creatures as subjects.


 Leaving more white unpainted for highlights.



 Adding Chinese white gouache when paint slides and darkens what I want to stay white.
I know this is my skill level showing. But the eyes above were flat before a bit of white.


This ink seems to slide off the pen nib, a joy to use. No skritchy feel.
 I highly recommend Jetpens for hard to find stationary items. This
 Platinum Carbon Ink is truly waterproof. Pricey but worth it. They offer
free shipping if your order is $25 or more.



Another great tool, 2mm lead sharpener. It holds the graphite shavings until you empty it.
I researched these tools and the good reviews helped with my decision to buy. I like how
 spare my supplies are after the great clear out/donation this fall.



 Cool design.


Opie 'riding' the big yellow table. Yes, he sits there while I work. He barks at
critics and loves all that I make. The best kind of a studio buddy!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! Are these all in a book or on separate papers? Just wondering. I can imagine you turning the pages of a book you have filled with these drawings and how satisfying that would be.
    I love Jet Pens too! Have ordered several times from them, I love the Uniball pens and it looks like that pencil sharpener you show is Uniball? Might be time for another order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, the lead sharpener I got from Amazon...Uni Lead Sharpner (DPS6001P). I got free shipping by combining with my regular
      printer ink. The drawings are separate. I'm starting a bound book
      for keeping in the car. The geese are all around here-lovely creatures!

      Delete
  2. Oh and I forgot to say how cute Opie is on your table. Maybe I should make a bed for Roscoe on mine because he wants to be on it. The problem is he doesn't want to sleep there, he wants to wander all over and get into stuff, chew up my pencils if I don't watch out. He is so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roscoe is still a pup, right? I remember those chewing days with
      Opie. Now I trust him not to jump off only when I'm in the room. Even then, if a country mouse makes a dash across the room (as they do in winter) I grab him fast. There's also an ownership issue
      with my tea and who can drink it (smile). xo

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.