Listen to the road


Saturday, June 23, 2012

How I feel about our birch trees, said better by Mary Oliver



When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
     but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
"When I Am Among the Trees" by Mary Oliver, from Thirst. © Beacon Press, 2006.

************************************************************
Our birch trees out front have been dancing and playing, responding to the windy rain and
sunny day. They're wonderful teachers!

4 comments:

  1. It is either a coincidence or you must subscribe to a Writer's Almanac too. Love Mary Oliver and her poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do subscribe to Writer's Amanac! I've always loved Mary Oliver's poetry. This poem says what I was trying to explain to a friend recently. I go out at night under the trees and
    they whisper and dance around in the summer breeze. At that moment I know they're sentient beings capable of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there shouldn't be ány garden (however small) without a tree !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted those birch trees and listen to them daily.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.