Listen to the road


Friday, March 21, 2014

Oils and using time available


I now know why I'm enjoying painting in oils so much more than in acrylic. Most days
I have small blocks of time to paint. There are several stages of preparing a canvas, 
putting down the preliminary drawing, sealing the graphite, value study in thin oil color,
then layers of paint and hopefully finding a way into the dog's personality. 




These are still what I'd call "folk art". I'm learning my way around
painting from the basics. Oil paint is forgiving and using a bit of Liquin
speeds the drying time. I'm looking at brushstrokes of very good paintings.

Two paintings have sold in the past couple of weeks they've been in the shop. At this
rate I may be able to pay for paint and canvases as well as donate to the dog shelter.
 I think I've found the best medium for the few hours I have to work at this point.

I



3 comments:

  1. These are both so sweet Patty. Dogs have so much expression in their eyes and you captured that in both of your paintings. I think oil is a forgiving medium too, but I feel it's the hardest to use because I don't understand it as well as I do acrylics. Like the way some colors dry dull and others shiny and how to varnish an oil painting or not varnish it...what mediums to use with the paint...it's just so confusing.

    Thank you for your last comment on my blog. I didn't get around to replying on that last post. I do feel more confident...but then it can suddenly change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evidently I haven't been by your blog lately because I haven't seen all these dog paintings you are creating. My loss! They are looking wonderful, you seem to be capturing their spirit and expression so well!
    I just haven't been following blogs as much as I used to, sorry I've not been here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jan and Lisa. I've not had time to paint much this week and am getting
    antsy waiting for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.