Listen to the road


Sunday, March 9, 2014

Seeing beyond fear

About 20 years ago I had a nightmare experience involving my big
old mutt dog, my neighbor and her two pit bulls. The neighbor let her
dogs run free and they hadn't had any training. Anyway, not to relive that
nightmare, my dog who was named Big Dog, was injured almost to death.
So, I have a life experience with this breed of dog and am afraid of them.




My cousin has had several bulls and she tells me they are trainable and can be
 great dogs. I've been painting some bull dogs and am amazed at the soul behind the
strong body. This guy began to look back with his intelligence awake!


Sometimes painting a creature gives me more insight into who they are. All I can say is
although I won't put my small dog in a room with one I now see their beauty and power
without anger or prejudice.  I do think art can heal. Painting these dogs has helped me
to move beyond my terrifying experience.


2 comments:

  1. These are excellent paintings. Yes art does heal and I am so happy painting these beautiful creatures has helped. I believe Cesar Milan, aka The Dog Whisperer's favorite breed is the Pitt Bull and it is because of his dogs my opinion of them changed. It's always the dog owner that is the problem in the case of an aggressive dog. Aggressive dogs are a great responsibility, so when I started "dog shopping" a few years ago, I chose a Golden Retriever.

    Your lovely paintings make me want to paint animals. I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa! Yes, I also love Cesar's bull, "Daddy"! I'm thinking my
    enthusiasm for painting dogs will pass but it's still strong. I'd like to paint
    folks from some old photos...you're really inspiring me with your work!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.