Listen to the road


Tuesday, October 1, 2019

What I've learned about WC and drawing on cotton

I use 100% cotton and usually dye it first.

Then I spray it with regular spray starch. This somehow
keeps the WC from seeping outside the lines. It's a nice effect - the
seeping color - but I like to make that decision. I iron it dry.


Then I iron freezer paper to the back side of the fabric. This is temporary and just keeps the
cotton flat while I draw/paint. I suspect it also controls the seeping of WC.

I draw the design with a fine point permanent pen. Sharpies are not so
good. I found that older pens make more regular lines with fewer blobs of ink along the line.

I use pan WC with a water brush. Most water brushes have a really good point.
I sometimes dip the brush in a bit of water for more concentrated color. 
I do blot the brush just a little before painting. It takes awhile to 
apply the paint as the fabric just drinks it in.

 Here I sprayed the right side (from your perspective) with
starch but left the left side with no starch. I think you can see the slight
bleeding/seeping on the left side.

For details I use WC pencils. Dip the tip into water then you can transfer the
WC to small details. They work best on very small areas.





Please keep in mind this won't last on cloth exposed to water. Also, I haven't
been using WC for more than a few months on fabric. Not certain how it will
age. I use Daniel Smith WC so the pigments are rich and relatively color fast.

If you can add anything I'd love to learn from you.





4 comments:

  1. Patty - thank you for making my wish come true ... I learned so much from this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. If you learn anything trying it I'd
      like to learn from you.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.