Listen to the road


Monday, September 30, 2019

Horse Story





The Outer Banks of North Carolina are full of stories.
Many wrecked sailing ships sleep under the dangerous waters 
right off this string of barrier islands. 
 
The horses who live on  the island swam to shore (they say)
 
I experimented with drawing and WC painting on fabric for the 
swimming horse and whales. 1 and 2 inch pieced blocks
framed their nvironment. It became a shrine to these horses and their
survival throughout the years. They make me feel hopeful.


8 comments:

  1. oooo! Oh, EEEEEEEE
    this is beyond! Please see email
    Love and way Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Grace. It's amazing to be on the beach with
    one of those horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the multiplicity of water fabrics and the fishy look of the horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fishy look of the horse" thank you, swimming to
      shore would be no small job.

      Delete
  4. the horse with the Blackbeard mane, its legs hidden behind the dunes, brought to mind the story of how Nags Head was named ... but truth be told, it was the whales that caught and held my eyes

    I hope you'll share details of your WC on cloth process someday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone interested in the Blackbeard connection can go here;

    https://www.outerbanks.com/blackbeard.html
    I thought of you with this cloth since you once lived near.
    WC and drawing-I'll share what I've learned later today
    in another post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your story cloth, reminds me "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry with beautiful illustrations by Wesley Dennis a favourite book from my childhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful book! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.