Listen to the road


Saturday, February 29, 2020

Tomb of a Diver




The roof of this tomb moved me. It tells a story of youth, skill,
and possible tragedy. Maybe he choked to death or illness did him in.
But maybe death also involved a mistake in judgment, showing off or
taking a dare. The painting doesn't tell. I created an
environment for the tragic death. I wanted him cared for, 
if that makes sense.

 I borrowed an Egyptian Mourning Chorus to meet him under the sea.
I kept taking things away. It's pared down to the moment before death.

 This week I opened some stored work from 10 years ago when I began
learning from Jude Hill. Her instruction, as always, was inspiring.
But my old cloth making disappointed me. So I began cutting it up to use again.
 The words, "death gently carried him" were right there to
cushion this young diver. He feels cared for now.

I'm trying to break my habits of grids, etc. I just feel there's a new way
of stitching stories just out of my reach/sight for right now. 

6 comments:

  1. this is hauntingly beautiful ... I had never heard of the Tomb of the Diver and was fascinated to learn of it ... your words fit it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. It feels awkward to me. I've been trying not to get stuck in grids. They're so much fun to make, though. Back to cutting old cloth for new patches...

      Delete
    2. I totally get what you are saying ... the comfort of something you do so very well and obviously enjoy, versus the wondering about how else you might go ...

      Delete
    3. Yes! You do understand. I wonder why I'm making this into a problem? The en-joy is key.

      Delete
    4. so beauty FULL, here, so tender and so
      sensitive to the Moment it depicts....the
      spaces...i look and think, ofcourse....and
      how the chorus awaits below.
      Sometimes it can BE this way, right? Not all
      the time... can be BOTH ways of Making

      Delete
    5. You're right. Sometimes I get stuck in the world in my
      mind and second guess until it's ridiculous. Having good
      maker friends help me back to more balance. In Joy is the key, I think.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.