Listen to the road


Sunday, June 12, 2011

Money vs/and the love of making

This year I've gone from full time to part time work making about as much per hour as possible in this
rural community. So the budget is lean and extra expenses cut into savings (taxes, speeding ticket, dentist,
medicine, etc). So...I begin to think of making money from making things. I already have a room in my friend's antique store selling stuff I've accumulated, recycled linen clothes and jeans I alter and decorate. I repair jewelry. But I need some bigger sales.The beaded hanging lamp above hangs in my sewing studio and
people love it. A store where I pick up jewelry repairs asked if I could bead one to sell there so...
yesterday I worked on this lamp I picked up from the Restore on Friday. I'm keeping track of the time spent
and may have found a way to make a bit more from an altered item. It's not finished and the beads are from
my huge leftover collection from my old bead store so there's no investment other than the $8.00 lamp.
This lion is ready for his personality and features. I don't think I could sell him as I've come to know his ways while working on him. This is different from making something for sale (for me). I don't think of how long I spent making him or the costs of materials. Do you think there is a line between making for sale and making for the love of it? I feel there is and it's different for each craftsperson. It'd be nice if I found some way to bridge the two but then, it was fun making that lamp...Fingers crossed I can get a little beaded lamp business on the side!


7 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, Patty, the perennial question! Ideally, you would enjoy the time you spend making what you sell - that's a real win-win. Especially if you are like me and find that the market rate for your work often yields a very low hourly wage! But sometimes we do have to make trade-offs to pay the bills. Good luck with your beaded light fixtures - you may be on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great light fitting! Really do hope it takes off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off tomorrow to take this first one in and check
    Habitat for any others. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your lamp work provides you with fun and profitable work. They look great and sure dress up those hanging light fixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I think the next lamp will be painted before I bead it. The brass is kinda cheap looking I think. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty...it's a great idea!, the lamp beading.
    am interested in how it goes. i think a lot
    of people would buy something for the House
    easier than for themselves....so it could work
    really well.
    i made MANY fiber figures that i sold and
    was glad to be able to pay bills that way. only thing is that it's not "steady". sometimes yes,
    sometimes no...so there has to be something
    consistent, or two incomes...
    when i finally move to California, i would like
    to try to sell little cloths at the outdoor
    Artists market...or somehow. am not going to
    look for cleaning jobs or gardening jobs anymore.

    the good thing in your case is that you already
    have a place where you can offer your work. this
    is a big factor.

    looking forward to seeing how it's all going...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace! So good to hear from you! I've also been sewing on some rescued thrift store jeans (still in great condition). These have been selling well.
    It's so cool to go find something old, work on it
    and then someone thinks it's nice enough to buy and wear or use. Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.