Listen to the road


Monday, November 21, 2011

The last leaf and well come (good will)

For several days now I've been watching the last leaf on my cherry tree.
Do you see it there in the upper right quad of the photo above? It's been hanging on for two windy days. That's remarkable as I watched the final 20 or so leaves drop the past few days. Anyway, in my new, nonworking existence my front yard is much more familiar.

This...and many others are
what I've been making with the small molds and plaster boxes. This shrine goes to my special friends' new home in Wales. The Kwan Yin and Lotus are symbols dear to us. The open hand at the top is one of my new important symbols.

This summer I noticed that as we drive down our narrow, rural roads in the Va back country that those who live out here usually lift at least the top half of their hand above the steering wheel while passing. When folks don't offer this gesture I feel a bit uneasy so I did some researching that gesture.

An Open Hand is to show evidence of No Weapon. Odd, but this must have roots in our bones. So at the top of the welcome shrine for my friends' new home an open hand shows no malice toward all who enter.  Well Come. And to the leaves...well gone. See you again next spring if I'm lucky!

5 comments:

  1. I find myself drawn to the "open hand" images that we see in so many Art and cultures around the globe. I am sending you Thanksgiving blessings for the upcoming celebration. Peace, MAry Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, I love your molds and the piece you just made...also the observation about the driving gesture/greeting...we're all out on the road together...nice to have a minimalist acknowledgment, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really thought about what the raised hand in greeting meant but of course this makes perfect sense. Nice shrine, it just glows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I've been making these little shrines as a break from sewing. Hope they're going to find new homes out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you are taking advantage of your "non-working existence" to observe and enjoy what is happening in your yard. Most of us don't take the time to do so.

    Love the shrine! I need to get out the silicone caulk and play!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.