Listen to the road


Monday, January 30, 2012

More simply sewn


I've gone the long way around back to the way of making stories I learned with Jude Hill as a teacher. I want to pull out a story here of the wild horses in Nags Head dunes (they are the descendants of Spanish horses from ships wrecked off the islands). For this year I've kind of lost the thread (pardon the pun) of where I was going with needle and thread. Now I seem
to be back where I can tell my stories my own way. I'm thinking about how opening up the borders lets my eye travel round the picture-kind of like I see in several quick glances then store up the picture. (Note* the photo of the sun setting was for me to study color layers-it's not part of the fabric picture)

Janet Bolton's fabric pictures have inspired me for years. I think I saw how she adds planes and opens the borders of her pictures. It's been heaven these past few days to sit and hand sew new story beginnings. I'll post a few photos of them as well as the grand boy's felted mobile I'm making for his first birthday.

4 comments:

  1. The stories come easier with simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something words cannot express when I try to describe how calm I can feel when I am hand stitching on a work. Janet's compositions are simply elegant. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time is the gift we give ourselves to stitch with no looks at the clock. Both Jude and Janet have inspired me to trust that small voice that remembers the pictures for the stories. Jude especially.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.