Listen to the road


Sunday, January 1, 2012

New direction in 2012

Today I went through all the fabric pieces I worked on this year. And I found I'm most interested in what I was doing a year ago; working with Jude Hill

' online class,
Contemporary Boro Cloth. I found the cloth pieces I got hung up on, backed up and took a new direction. Seems like I've been jumping around most of the year. Frustrating. I've learned lots of new skills but love the cloth, needle and thread.


So for this coming year I'm using the thread as a line, cloth and applique as form.
I'm not going to worry about finished product yet...just get serious about the process and work. Today I've been pretty honest with with myself looking at what I've done last year. It's boring. Making the collage each day has made me think about design, meaning and when to stop. I did save one fabric collage, sewing it down to harem cloth this afternoon while I thought all these things.

It's soft, has line, meaning and form. I stopped when it was done and am happy with
this quiet new piece of cloth.

3 comments:

  1. Well Patty, first of all : happy new year to you, and lots and lots of stitches this year!
    Worrying about the end-product takes away the fun of creating sometimes ...
    When I do that it (yes me too) I forget to enjoy the fun of the proces and all those coincidences that happen when you're not so focussed on what it "nééd to become" ... (well still learning, especially when I look at Jude's work !)
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attempt to remind myself that the process is the important part of our journeys. Know we learn new aspects about our marks even when they do not complete like we thought they would!!! happy 2012 to you and your possibilities!!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Els! I want that feeling back when I was boro-ing. I'm shifting way back to last year and a quiet, slower pace, paying attention more.

    Mary, process is my key word this year I believe.
    Rather putting so little attention into too many places I'll concentrate more. Thanks for your input, friends.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.