Listen to the road


Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Listening to myself

 A while ago I began to listen to my automatic inner chatter, that constant
judge and jury of what I'm doing and how I fall short. As
a creative person I also have a harsh art critic busily undercutting whatever
I'm working on. When I began painting dogs I wanted to learn more
about painting technique. This is happening slowly. But also I've been
able to clearly hear how active this critical voice is.

 Why has concentrating on dog images, trying to make
them come alive with paint on a panel, softened my inner critic?

Dogs bring out unconditional love from my heart. They do not complain
that we're wasting time especially when we give in to the urge to play. They
are on our side, on our team, happy for our happiness! If our plan is
different from what happens in paint it isn't a horrible failure. We're learning.


So it's no wonder that I'm letting up on myself and talking back to that unhelpful
chatter. We're here to learn and help one another. Except for dear Roger Ebert,
how many critics do we look up to? My job is to make mistakes and learn.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. This week, dogs, and especially my own dog have been on my mind. I saw a video on "Myth and Moor" blog this week that had a music video with the art of Jeanie Tomanek and there are a few paintings of her female figures that include dogs and those were the ones that moved me most. I was especially touched by the one where the girl is watching her dog sail off by itself in a boat (I'm assuming it depicts a loss). It got me thinking about how special dogs are...truly they are here as a companion to man. And as I watched the video I was reminded of how short time is with my own dog. They don't stay long enough, do they?

    Your dog paintings are so so special Patty and I love that the dogs are teaching you to be more carefree. What a gift, and to me this is what I love so much about art... how it connects us to things that are dear to us and how we are taught something new every time we pick up pencil, brush or piece of clay. Well done and well said.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I saw that video on Myth and Moor and yes, Jeanie Tomanek's
    visual world is moving. So many subtle feelings can only be pulled up
    with music and paintings.

    And I don't know why I haven't realized before how much my subject matter whispers new meanings to me. It's a back and forth if I can get that critic to just hush up. Opening up to these dogs is teaching me to be open.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been finding renewed desire to create art using images of dogs and it is so inspiring! I'm loving it! You may not always be thrilled with the results of your paintings but to my eye you are doing wonderfully capturing their essence, their dogginess and personality. I love love love my painting of Sierra, it always makes me smile. I sent you a little thank you from Dick Blick, did you receive it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go find the video you were talking about. Stunning! I love discovering new things and the Myth and Moor blog as well as the artist Jeanie Tomanek are new to me. Thanks for introducing me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, your mixed media art is great! I'm enjoying what you share on your
    blog, especially the photo of you and your dog. You only have eyes for
    your sweet dog.

    Don't you think dogs are especially important to girls growing up?
    My friend loved horses but didn't have one. There were dogs in my family
    all the time. My favorite photo is of me in a large dog pen with a puppy at
    my grandma's house. I just changed my email address (you have the new
    one) so may not have gotten any message from Dick Blick..maybe email
    me and we'll figure it out. Talk with you soon!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.